The OLAS Guardian is a wireless engine kill switch that acts within two seconds of a person falling overboard. It has the dual function of also acting as an instant, Man Overboard Alarm system. The Guardian simply connects with up to 15 OLAS transmitters and can cover a vessel up to 50ft.
What it does
OLAS Guardian means power boat and RIB drivers are assured that their boat will stop in an instant, should the skipper or crew get separated from the boat, reducing the chances of a serious accident from a loose, unmanned, uncontrolled powerboat. They are free to move around their boat without constantly having to remember to attach, detach and re-attach a physical wired kill cord.
How it works
Up to 15 OLAS transmitting devices (OLAS tag / OLAS Float-On) within range can be tracked around the vessel by the Guardian. This allows freedom for the crew and skipper to move around the vessel with confidence that if anyone falls overboard either the engine will be cut-off and / or an alarm will occur, and a swift recover can be actioned.
The Guardian connects to a vessels 12/24v power supply and existing kill switch using the supplied connectors making it quick and easy to install with immediate usability.
A 19mm hole is required near to the existing kill switch for the 20mm stainless steel, LED control switch to be installed.
Professional instillation is not required but is advised as Ultimate Sports Engineering does not accept any liability for incorrect installation.
- The Guardian can be used in-place of or alongside an existing kill cord switch and will operate if the physical kill cord has not been attached to the driver.
- On most engines a simple parallel connection to the existing kill switch will enable full wireless cut-off capability.
- After 5 seconds the kill switch is deactivated enabling the engine to be restarted
- An 85db alarm will sound to indicate an OLAS transmitter has gone out of range
- A high-power emergency Red light will illuminate, offering clear visual indication of an alert whilst also acting as a light to illuminate the surrounding area
- The OLAS App allows individual relay selection for easily adjusting if the OLAS transmitter triggers the engine cut-off / relay, or only triggers the Guardian's inbuilt MOB alarm
- When you board your vessel and switch on the power, The Guardian will automatically connect to any switched on OLAS transmitting devices within 2 meters rage.
- If you board the vessel and no transmitters are switched on, the Guardian will sound an alert. This alert can be stopped either by connecting the OLAS transmitter to the Guardian or the Guardian can be manually switched off. After which the vessel can be driven as usual using the exiting physical, safety kill cord.
- The system can be placed into a pause mode. This is used when you need to leave the boat with the engine idling, such as walking down a pontoon, knowing the OLAS transmitter will go out of range
- Up to 15 transmitters allows larger vessel to connect crew and objects to the Guardian. Simply by attaching a transmitter to object such as a MOB flotation device or yacht tender you can always be aware if something has gone missing.
- An OLAS Extender can be used to cover areas where transmitter signal may be blocked. This allows use on larger vessels up to 100ft and the ability to scale the system up if required.
OLAS Mobile App
The Guardian is easily operated via the OLAS App, free to download from the App Store for iOS and the Google Play Store for Android. The OLAS App is a powerful tool for controlling the Guardians functions and for aiding in fast rescue.
- Monitor all OLAS transmitters that are being tracked
- Customise OLAS transmitter Names making them easy to allocate
- Check battery status for OLAS tags
- Add new OLAS transmitters to the Guardian system
- Pause the Guardian system if transmitters are leaving the area for a short period
- Adjust the time before the Guardian reacts to an overboard transmitter between 2 seconds to 15 seconds, allowing more freedom around larger vessels
- Adjust between cut-off switch and external alarm mode
- Kill switch mode activates the inbuilt switch for 5 seconds, cutting off the engine, but allowing users to restart the engine after 5 seconds
- External alarm mode activates the inbuilt switch until it is manually cancelled. This allows external, high power, alarms to be connected in series.
- Pause the alarm state
- Easily adjust individual transmitters between Engine cut-off (for the skipper), Alarm only (for passengers) and Pause (for passengers leaving the vessel temporarily)
- sounding the external alarm if a Tag wearer is out of range on both the Guardian and your mobile device.
- Adjust the time before the cut-off switch or alarm is triggered – offering greater freedom
External Alarm and rescue aid
- Maximum volume alarm and vibration on your mobile phone, synchronized with the Guardian.
- Indication of which transmitter has triggered the alarm
- Record the GPS location of where the alarm was triggered • Clear guidance back to the GPS location where the alarm was triggered
- Clear display of the time and GPS location of where the alarm was triggered and the user's current location. • VHF emergency script with automatically input GPS co-ordinates and custom vessel information Solo Mode
- Designed for when boating on your own within 2G cellular range or offshore Wifi. Solo mode will send an automatic text message to a custom number with your location and time of the incident. If a self-rescue is managed an automatic text is sent cancelling the alert.
Setup and Mounting
- The Guardian module can be connected to your vessels power supply to ensure it is always connected when you have the power running. The power wires can simply be spliced into an existing power supply from the boat’s battery.
Through panel mounting
- The compact, stainless steel switch requires minimum adjustment to your existing center console, allowing it to be fitted through an 19mm hole
- The color-coded control switch makes the system easy to control and setup, without the need for the OLAS App. During the setup process, it will indicate the automatic setup stages with a red indicator light. When the system is running it shows a green light, switching back to red in an alarm situation.
OLAS Mobile App data and monitoring
- Monitoring tracked OLAS Transmitters enabling customised ID names for easy identification
- Records GPS location of the Alert position and guides the user back to the location and advises on the correct mayday call.
- Selects which devices initiate the engine cut-off
- Monitor battery level of OLAS tags
- Adds/removes tags from the sample
- Activates/Deactivates the Alarm system
- Operate as an external Alarm
- The GUARDIAN clearly indicates how many OLAS transmitters are connected during the setup process.
- Transmitters can be Added to the system either using the mobile application or through simple inbuilt switching process.